Find a home
- Homes for rent
- Buy a home
- Homes in development
- Swap your home
- Paying rent
- Report it
- Find out
- Self service website
- Get involved
Advice and support
- Care and support
- Money advice
- Supported living
- Employment support
- About us
- Contact us
Maintaining your home
There is a range of things that you can do in your home to keep it in good condition as well as the tasks that we take on to keep your home safe and secure.
We are responsible by law to make sure that all of our gas appliances in your home have an annual gas safety check. You can find out more on our gas servicing web page.
Asbestos was used in building materials until the mid-1980s but as long as it remains undamaged in the building it is safe.
Structural damage to your property might expose customers to asbestos so you must report any damage to us, for example if asbestos cement guttering falls into your garden and breaks.
You must not carry out structural alterations or improvements to your home other than cleaning and basic decoration, unless we have given you permission to do so.
For more advice from a member of the asbestos team, please contact us.
Mould and condensation
Condensation and damp in your home is caused by too much moisture in the air.
When the moisture in the air hits something cold like a window or a wall, the moisture in the air turns back to water. If condensation can’t dry out it will cause mould on walls, in cupboards and on window sills.
To reduce condensation and damp you should:
- keep your home warm
- keep your home well ventilated
- keep doors to kitchens and bathrooms closed when you’re cooking or having a bath or shower
- try not to dry clothes indoors.
For more practical advice about condensation, please get in touch with the Customer Contact Centre.
Cleveland Fire Brigade can carry out a fire safety check in your home and give advice on fire safety. You can get some home safety tips on the Cleveland Fire Brigade website.
You can also arrange a home fire safety visit.
If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak or are worried that fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from one of your gas appliances, please call Northern Gas Networks on the national emergency Freephone line 0800 111 999.
If you do smell gas in your home:
- turn off your gas supply at the meter
- open all doors and windows to ventilate the property
- do not switch on/off any electrical switches
- extinguish all naked flames, do not smoke, strike matches or do anything that could cause gas to be ignited
- if you have any electrical security entry phones or locks, please open the door manually
- do not smoke
- call Northern Gas Networks from outside your home.
Electrics not working
Your electricity can cut out due to a number of problems:
- lightbulbs blowing
- faulty or misused appliances/leads
- too many appliances being used at the same time
- an overloaded circuit
- overfilled kettles
- unclean toasters
- worn out or cracked cooker rings
- faulty immersion heaters.
You can switch the power back on at your electricity consumer unit which is usually next to the meter and will either contain trip switches or fuses. Depending on which you have, you will need to either reset a trip switch or change a fuse to restore your electricity.
Resetting a trip switch
Modern electric circuits are fitted with a circuit-breaker fuse system so if a fault occurs, it causes a trip switch to be activated and the circuit to be broken.
To switch your electricity back on again open the cover of your consumer unit. Check which switches have tripped to the ‘off’ position and which rooms (circuits) have been affected. Flick these switches back on to restore the power.
If the electricity keeps going off, identify which appliance is causing the problem by unplugging each one on the affected circuit. Switch the tripped switch to the ‘on’ position, and then plug in each appliance one by one until the electricity goes off again.
Leave this appliance unplugged and get it fixed by a qualified electrician or engineer.
After you go through this process and the electrics still don’t reset, please contact us.