Find a home
- Homes for rent
- Buy a home
- Homes in development
- Swap your home
- Paying rent
- Report it
- Find out
- Self service website
- Get involved
Advice and support
- Care and support
- Money advice
- Supported living
- Employment support
- Homelessness prevention
- About us
- Contact us
Gas servicing in your home
We are responsible for carrying out an annual gas service in our customers’ homes.
By law, a qualified Gas Safe Registered engineer must visit rented homes every year to service appliances such as gas boilers and gas fires.
We send letters to our customers with an appointment for an engineer to visit your home and complete the gas safety check free of charge.
The checks are essential as they make sure that the appliances are working properly and they’re safe for you and your family. When it’s complete, we give you a copy of the gas safety certificate so you can be sure that the check has been done.
Benefits of annual gas service for you and your family
A regularly serviced boiler is less likely to break down and leave you with no heating or hot water. If your boiler is serviced every year, it will run more efficiently and you could save money on your energy bills.
Keeping your appointment
It’s important that you keep the appointment in the letter we send you.
Please make sure there’s someone at home on the appointment date so our engineer can carry out the checks.
If your appointment isn’t convenient, please let us know as soon as possible by contacting us.
If you have a mobile phone, when your appointment is arranged we’ll send you text message reminders close to your appointment date. You’ll get a reminder:
- one week before your gas servicing appointment
- the day before your appointment
- when the engineer is on their way to the appointment.
If you own any gas appliance such as a gas cooker, you are responsible for its maintenance. However, during the gas safety check, if our engineer thinks the appliance is unsafe, they might disconnect it.
You can get more information about gas safety and carbon monoxide poisoning on the Gas Safe website.