The Welfare Reform Act became law on the 8th March 2012. This has been described as the biggest change to the welfare system for over 60 years.
This means that the Government will be making major changes to the benefit system from 2013 onwards. Now that the final details of the Act have been announced, Erimus Housing can start to inform residents of the changes that could affect you in 2013.
Some of the changes of the Welfare Reform Act will:
- Bring in Universal Credit. This replaces the current system of separate means tested benefits and tax credits for people of working age, including Housing Benefit, from October 2013.
- Universal Credit will be paid direct to the claimant through a bank account once a month. This means that people who get Housing Benefit will have to pay that to Erimus Housing themselves.
- Restrict Housing Benefit entitlement for social housing tenants of working age that live in a property that has more bedrooms than needed.
- Limits the payment of contributory Employment and Support Allowance to a 12 month period
- Introduce Personal Independence Payments to replace the current Disability Living Allowance
- Cap the total amount of benefit that can be claimed to £500 a week.
Over the next 12 months, Erimus Housing will:
- Keep you up to date with information to explain what these changes could mean for you as a tenant
- Contact everyone who is likely to be affected to explain the changes and the help available
- Look for ways to help you manage these changes
How you can help
To help us to identify if you might be affected by these changes, it is important that Erimus Housing has up to date information about who lives in your household. It is also important that we have up to date telephone numbers and/or email addresses for us to contact you. Please ring 08000 461 600 to talk to a customer service advisor to confirm your details or call into your local housing office.
Click here to download our leaflet.
Please find below a series of factsheets produced by the Middlesbrough Partnership:
Benefits are Changing
Reductions in Housing Benefit
Reductions in Housing Benefit under 35
Changes to Disability Living Allowance
Changes to Council Tax benefit
Changes to Social Fund
If you have concerns about the changes to the benefit system in 2013, please speak to your neighbourhood officer or scheme manager.