Erimus Housing aims to deliver a major programme of modernisation and improvement, to provide all tenants with housing that is first choice for rented accomodation, in Middlesbrough.
An estimated five-year, £103m repair and improvement programme ensures that tenants' homes met the Government’s Decent Homes target by 2010. The Tenant Offer document outlined a menu of improvement 'promises' during the first five years after transfer. These being:
- To meet the Government's Decent Homes Standard by 2010.
- To give tenants a wide choice of products.
- To spend an estimated £103m on repairs, modernisation and improvements in the first five years.
A 15% stock condition survey of the houses was completed in 2003 and this was used to formulate the five year improvement plan.
What is A Decent Home? Guidance for Implementation
1. It meets the current statutory minimum standard for housing.
- Be free from serious disrepair
- Structurally stable
- Be free from dampness prejudicial to the health of the occupants
- Have adequate provision for lighting, heating and ventilation
- Wholesome water supply
- Effective system for drainage
- Suitably located WC (for the exclusive use of the occupants)
- Have a bath or shower and wash-hand basin, with hot and cold water
- Satisfactory facilities for the preparation and cooking of food (including a sink)
2. It is in a reasonable state of repair
Key building components
The property will not meet the "Decent Homes" criteria if any one fail of the following elements fail:
- External walls
- Roof Structure and covering
- Central heating boilers
- Gas fires
- Storage heaters
- Electric supply
Other building components
The property will not meet the Decent Homes criteria if any two of the of the following elements fail:
3. It has reasonably modern facilities and services. The property will not meet the "Decent Homes" criteria if it lacks three or more of the following:
- A reasonably modern kitchen (20 years old or less)
- A kitchen with adequate space and layout
- A reasonably modern bathroom (30 years old or less)
- An appropriately located bathroom and WC
- Adequate insulation against external noise (where external noise is a problem)
- Adequate size and layout of common areas for blocks of flats
4. It provides a reasonable degree of thermal comfort
- Effective insulation
- Efficient heating